World leaders condemn terrorist attack in Nice

John MACDOUGALL / AFP

Leaders from around the world have condemned the terror attack in Nice and expressed their solidarity with the people of France.

France raised the terror alert level to the maximum, with additional soldiers deployed at schools and religious centres across the country.

President Emmanuel Macron said the country was "under attack" after three people were killed at the Notre-Dame basilica in Nice on Thursday, but vowed that the French will "not give in to any terror".

US President Donald Trump said, "America stands with our oldest ally in this fight", while UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was appalled to hear of the "barbaric attack".

Turkey also expressed solidarity with France in the fight against terrorism. "We strongly condemn the attack committed today inside the Notre-Dame church in Nice," a Turkish foreign ministry statement said.

Australian prime minister Scott Morrison also spoke out in support of France, while Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said his country "stands with France in the fight against terrorism".

German Chancellor Angela Merkel expressed deep shock at the "brutal murders".

"My thoughts are with the relatives of those murdered and injured. Germany stands with France at this difficult time," she said.

Taking to Twitter, European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen condemned the "odious and brutal attack".

Egypt’s foreign ministry said it stands with France "in combatting this hateful incident", while Lebanese prime minister designate Saad Hariri voiced his "strongest condemnation and disapproval of the heinous criminal attack".

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs