WHO accuses Tanzania of hiding Ebola cases

123rf

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has accused Tanzania of failing to provide information about possible Ebola cases, thus stalling efforts to fight the outbreak.

In a statement, the UN health agency said the country refused to provide details about one suspected fatal case in Dar es Salaam and two others, despite repeated requests.

"The limited available official information from Tanzanian authorities represents a challenge," the agency highlighted.

Tanzania, however, said it has no suspected or confirmed cases.

Authorities in several parts of Africa are on high alert after the Democratic Republic of Congo recorded more than 2,000 deaths due to the ebola virus in one year.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs