Venice to experiment with entry fee, visitor cap from April 2024

Shutterstock [For illustration]

Venice will start testing a daily admission fee and cap on visitor access to its famous canals from next April, in what the Italian city's mayor hailed as the world's first such scheme.

The move is aimed at managing the flow of tourists on spring bank holidays and some summer weekends when visitor numbers are at their peak, local authorities said during a press conference on Thursday.

"It is the first time in the world that you do something like this, you make a city bookable," Mayor Luigi Brugnaro said.

The restrictions will apply from 0830 to 1600 local time, initially for a total of 29 days and cover most weekends from April 25 to mid July next year.

Travellers will have to book their visit online and pay 5 euros (AED 20.02) to obtain a QR code that will be checked at specific entry points and will grant them access to the city's historic quarters.

Restrictions will not apply to the lagoon's smaller islands, such as Murano, famous for its glass-making industry.

Potential sanctions ranging from 50 to 310 euros will be imposed on those failing to comply with the measure.

Residents and people who were born in Venice as well as students, workers and home owners in the city will be exempt from paying and booking a slot, councillor Michele Zuin said.

Visitors aged under 14 will need to be registered but access for them will be free of charge.

Mass tourism and floods have long been a problem for the fragile lagoon city, known for its canals and cultural sites.

"We want to measure the effect of this trial, we want to measure the effect of this bookability," said Brugnaro, noting the experiment would initially lose money.

The trial is estimated to cost 3 million euros against proceeds for about 700,000 euros.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs