US curbs visas for Chinese officials over Hong Kong freedoms

AFP

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has announced visa restrictions on Chinese officials believed to be responsible for undermining freedom in Hong Kong.

No officials were named, although it is said to target "current and former" members of the Chinese Communist Party.

"President Trump promised to punish the Chinese Communist Party officials who were responsible for eviscerating Hong Kong's freedoms. Today, we are taking action to do just that," Pompeo said.

It comes ahead of China's parliament meeting to implement the proposed security law that could erode Hong Kong's autonomy.

Chinese embassy spokeswoman Fang Hong said Beijing "opposes the US side's wrongful decisions," and added that Chinese legislation targeted only "a very narrow category of acts that seriously jeopardize national security".

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs