Ukraine tells White House of plan to fire top commander

Shutterstock

The Ukrainian government has informed the White House that it plans to fire the country's top military commander overseeing the war against Russian occupation forces.

Two knowledgeable sources said on Friday.

The move to oust General Valeriy Zaluzhnyi, who has clashed with President Volodymyr Zelenskiy over a range of issues, follows a Ukrainian counteroffensive last year that failed to recover significant amounts of Russian-held territory.

A source close to Zelenskiy's office said the pair are locked in a dispute over a new military mobilisation drive, with the president opposing Zaluzhnyi's proposal to call up 500,000 fresh troops.

The source, however, added that the process for relieving Zaluzhnyi of his post as the commander in chief of Ukraine's armed forces was on hold for the time being as the sides work out their next steps.

It was unclear how long that process would take, added the source, who spoke anonymously.

A second knowledgeable source said the White House did not express a position on the plan to replace Zaluzhnyi.

"I would emphasise that the White House response was that we did not support or object to their sovereign decision," said the source, who requested anonymity to discuss the issue.

"The White House expressed that it is up to Ukraine to make its own sovereign decisions about its personnel," the source continued.

The Washington Post was the first to report that Ukraine had informed the White House of the plan to fire Zaluzhnyi.

US officials told Ukraine they were not opposed to firing Zaluzhnyi, said a source close to the Ukrainian president's office.

"The US is okay with Ukraine firing him," said the source.

"Right now, both sides (the president and the general) have paused determining what the future will look like, and for now, the status quo will remain until further notice," the source said.

The source said the frictions between Zelenskiy and Zaluzhnyi over mobilisation involved the president's view that the military has enough personnel to use more efficiently.

"Zaluzhnyi insists on mobilising half a million men. Zelenskiy thinks that's not necessary now," the source said.

On Thursday, Zaluzhnyi published a column on the CNN website in which he wrote that the government had failed to mobilise enough troops.

Known as "the Iron General," Zaluzhnyi is extremely popular. His removal could hurt morale among Ukrainian troops battling to hold positions along more than 620 miles (1,000 km) of frontlines against a vast Russian force armed with large munitions stockpiles.

Ukrainian forces are experiencing shortages of critical ammunition. Supplies from the United States, the country's largest arms provider, have run down, and a dispute between the White House and some Republican lawmakers has stalled approval of a new aid package.

A flurry of Western and Ukrainian media reports said that Zaluzhnyi rejected Zelenskiy's request that he step aside this week.

The plan to replace Zaluzhnyi, despite his popularity and ability as an inspiring commander, may signal Kyiv's desire for a fresh approach to the conflict.

 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs