Ukraine defence minister visits Pentagon amid questions about future of aid

AFP

Ukraine's Defence Minister Rustem Umerov met US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin at the Pentagon on Wednesday, amid increasing warnings from President Joe Biden's administration to Congress that it is running out of time and money to help Ukraine fight its war against Russia.

Biden's administration in October asked Congress for nearly $106 billion to fund ambitious plans for Ukraine, Israel and US border security but Republicans who control the House with a slim majority rejected the package.

"We'll discuss Ukraine's strategic goals for the coming year and a long-term vision for a future force," Austin said at the start of the meeting, sitting alongside General Charles Q. Brown, the top US general.

Austin announced an additional aid package for Kyiv, including air defence munitions.

Umerov thanked Austin for the United States' support.

The talks at the Pentagon came as Biden administration officials and industry leaders met to discuss ways to support Ukraine's military, which has burned through artillery fighting Russian forces faster than its Western allies can produce.

"We must expand Ukraine's capacity to sustain the many different systems and platforms being provided by allies and partners around the world," Austin said earlier.

Biden pleaded with Republicans for a fresh infusion of military aid for Ukraine on Wednesday, warning that a victory for Russia over Ukraine would leave Moscow in position to attack NATO allies.

By mid-November, the Pentagon had used 97 per cent of $62.3 billion in supplemental funding it had received and the State Department had used all of the $4.7 billion in military assistance funding it had been allocated.

Congress has approved more than $110 billion for Ukraine since Russia's February 2022 invasion but it has not approved any funds since Republicans took over the House from Democrats in January.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy's chief of staff said on Tuesday that the postponement of US assistance for Kyiv being debated in Congress would create a "big risk" of Ukraine losing the war with Russia.

Ukraine conducted a major counteroffensive push this year, but was unable to break through Russian defensive lines. Russia is now on the offensive in the east.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs