UK police say three dead in incident in Nottingham

AFP

British police said a man had been arrested on suspicion of murder after three people were found dead on the street in the city of Nottingham and three were in hospital after an attempt to run them over with a van.

Police said two people had been found dead on one road in the centre of the city just after 4:00 am (0300 GMT) before officers were alerted to another incident not far away where someone driving a van had tried to run over three people.

They are being treated in hospital.

Another man was also found dead on a road just outside the city centre.

"This is a horrific and tragic incident which has claimed the lives of three people," Chief Constable Kate Meynell said.

"We believe these three incidents are all linked and we have a man in custody. This investigation is at its early stages and a team of detectives is working to establish exactly what has happened."

A 31-year-old was arrested on suspicion of murder and was in police custody. No indication was given of motive, but the police statement made no mention of counter-terrorism officers being involved.

"It is too early to comment on casualties or the exact nature of the incident," the East Midlands Ambulance Service said.

Inside one of the police cordons, officers guarded a white van that had its passenger door wide open with a rucksack lying on the ground beside it, and damage to its bonnet and windscreen.

At Ilkeston Road, where the two people were found dead, medical equipment was strewn across the street.

"I am being kept updated on developments. The police must be given the time to undertake their work," Prime Minister Rishi Sunak wrote on Twitter, calling the incident "shocking".

Several major roads were closed and the Nottingham tram network was suspended. Members of the emergency services were visible across the city.

Meynell said much of the city would remain sealed off while the investigation continued.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs