UK police say no probe yet into parties at PM's house during COVID-19 lockdown

AFP

British police will not investigate gatherings held in Prime Minister Boris Johnson's residence during a coronavirus lockdown unless an internal government inquiry finds evidence of potential criminal offences, the Metropolitan Police said.

Johnson's leadership is in the balance as he faces calls to resign from some in his party over Wednesday's admission that he attended the party during the May 2020 lockdown. He apologised for the error and said he thought it was a work event.

A senior government official is conducting an inquiry into that gathering and several others reported by media to establish the facts.

"The Met has ongoing contact with the Cabinet Office in relation to this inquiry. If the inquiry identifies evidence of behaviour that is potentially a criminal offence it will be passed to the Met for further consideration," a Met statement said.

There were two other parties held inside Downing Street - on April 16, 2021 - when social gatherings indoors and outdoors were limited, The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported late on Thursday. Johnson was at his Chequers country residence that day, the paper said.

Any police investigation would heap pressure on Johnson, who is already facing questions over his judgement on a number of different issues that have contributed to a dramatic slide in his Conservative Party's opinion poll ratings.

Political opponents reacted with dismay to the police decision.

"The police don’t need the government’s permission to investigate a crime, and they mustn’t turn a blind eye to criminality just because it is committed by Boris Johnson," said Ed Davey, leader of the Liberal Democrats party.

Conservative lawmakers have the power to force a leadership contest if enough of them submit a formal letter of no confidence in Johnson.

But so far most senior figures have offered their leader qualified support, saying he was right to apologise awaiting the results of the inquiry.

"We can't pre-empt things right now. We really can't," interior minister Priti Patel told reporters when asked about the police statement.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs