UK PM Johnson resists calls to sack aide over 'lockdown trip'

DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS / AFP

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has resisted calls to sack senior adviser Dominic Cummings over allegations that he breached lockdown rules.

Johnson's office defended Cummings' decision to travel 400 km to northern England in late March while his wife showed COVID-19 symptoms, saying it was to ensure his four-year-old son was taken care of.

Downing Street said Cummings' "actions were in line with coronavirus guidelines" and accused some local newspapers of making "false allegations".

"I behaved reasonably and legally," Cummings told reporters outside his house.

 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs