UK calls in army and warns people to stay home or face lockdown

DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS / AFP

The UK has warned that a shutdown with curfews and travel restrictions will be implemented if people don't stay at home or practice social distancing.

It comes as millions flocked to parks over the weekend, flouting the government's advisory.

Authorities also hinted at shutting down all non-essential retail shops, as many firms, including Primark and John Lewis, have already announced temporary closures due to low demand.

On Monday, the army was called in to deliver millions of protective equipments, including masks, to healthcare workers following complaints of shortage.

"It's like a war effort, it is a war against this virus and so the army have been incredibly helpful in getting those logistics so we can get the supplies to protect people on the front line," Health Secretary Matt Hancock said, adding they have now 12,000 ventilators.

So far, the UK has reported 281 deaths and 5,683 positive cases.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson earlier ordered the closure of pubs, gyms and leisure centres, and urged the public to work from home.

 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs