Trump's choice for UN ambassador withdraws

MANDEL NGAN / AFP

Heather Nauert withdrew her name from consideration on Saturday amid concerns about her qualifications for the post.

In a statement, Nauert, a former Fox News presenter, said the decision was made "in the best interest of my family".

She was set to replace Nikki Haley, who announced in October that she would step down from the post by the end of the year.

Critics had highlighted Nauert's lack of adequate foreign policy experience or political skills that was needed for the job.  

While making his announcement last December, US President Donald Trump had described Nauert as "very talented, very smart, very quick".

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs