Trump to continue campaigning despite second assassination attempt

File photo

Former president Donald Trump will continue campaigning, despite a second assassination attempt in just two months. Trump confirmed he will carry out his activities as scheduled.

Trump, who maintained a low profile on Monday, met with the acting head of the US Secret Service at his Palm Beach home, gave a media interview, and commented on the incident via social media. 

He claimed, without evidence, that Democrats’ "highly inflammatory language" was behind the attack, while continuing his own provocative rhetoric on social media.

In response to the incident, Trump’s campaign has highlighted comments from Democratic figures, including Vice President Kamala Harris and President Joe Biden, who had earlier condemned the attack and called for an end to violence. Harris described the attempt as having, "no place in America," while Biden also reached out to Trump.

Despite the gravity of the situation, Trump’s campaign indicated that his schedule will remain intact. 

Upcoming events include a cryptocurrency business launch at Mar-a-Lago, a town hall in Flint, Michigan, and rallies in New York and North Carolina. All these events will be held indoors.

The latest attack, following a July 13 rally incident, has led to increased scrutiny of Trump’s security. Allies, including Republican Senator Tommy Tuberville, have expressed frustration over the security breach.

Suspected gunman 58-year-old Ryan Routh has been charged with gun offences and the FBI says it doesn't have information so far to suggest Routh was working with anyone else. 

Its believed the gunman hid in the bush area, on the outskirts of the golf course for almost 12 hours before Trump decided to take to the golf course. 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs