Trump extends coronavirus restrictions until April

JIM WATSON / AFP

US President Donald Trump has extended federal social-distancing guidelines to April 30.

It marked an abrupt turnaround from his previously suggested plan to relax guidelines as early as mid-April.

"The highest point of the death rate is likely to hit in two weeks," Trump said at a White House press conference.

"Nothing would be worse than declaring victory before the victory is won. The better you do, the faster this whole nightmare will end."

So far, the country has recorded 142,793 cases and 2,490 deaths.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs