Trump cancels peace talks with Taliban over attack

AFP

US President Donald Trump has cancelled peace talks with the Taliban after the group carried out an attack in Kabul that killed a US soldier.

Taking to Twitter, Trump said the planned meeting with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani and senior Taliban leaders at a presidential compound in Camp David, Maryland on Sunday has been called off.

"If they cannot agree to a ceasefire during these very important peace talks, and would even kill 12 innocent people, then they probably don't have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway," he wrote. 

The announcement comes just a week after Zalmay Khalilzad, the special US envoy for peace in Afghanistan, finalised a draft agreement on the withdrawal of US troops over the coming months.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs