Top Democratic fundraiser Clooney asks Biden to stand down

AFP

Hollywood actor George Clooney has issued a striking call for President Joe Biden to withdraw from the 2024 presidential race.

Clooney's comments, published in an op-ed for the New York Times, come just hours after senior Democrat Nancy Pelosi sidestepped direct questions about Biden's future in the race.

Clooney criticised Biden’s candidacy, stating that while the president has triumphed in many battles, he cannot overcome the challenge of time. He said “The Joe Biden I met three weeks ago was not the Biden of 2010 or even 2020,” Clooney wrote, echoing concerns voiced by many within the Democratic Party.

The call follows Pelosi’s remarks that time was “running short” for Biden, who recently stumbled in a debate against Donald Trump. Despite Biden’s repeated assertions of his determination to continue as the Democratic nominee and defeat Trump, the president faces mounting scrutiny.

Clooney’s op-ed comes after a high-profile fundraiser in Los Angeles, co-hosted by Clooney, Julia Roberts, and Barbra Streisand, which raised a record $30 million for Biden's campaign. However, Biden’s campaign has pushed back against Clooney's comments, noting that Biden had just arrived from the G7 summit in Italy and stayed for over three hours at the event.

Clooney's article stressed the need for party leaders to acknowledge the reality of Biden's age and the potential impact on the election. “This is about age. Nothing more,” Clooney argued, adding that his concerns are shared by numerous members of Congress.

The concerns within the Democratic Party have been growing, with several elected officials, including Democratic Senators Michael Bennet and Peter Welch, expressing doubts about Biden’s ability to win the election. Welch has called for Biden to withdraw "for the good of the country," while others, like Senator Richard Blumenthal and Congressman Pat Ryan, have also voiced concerns about Biden's viability.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs