Toll rises to 21 from New Zealand volcano eruption

HANDOUT / NEW ZEALAND DEFENCE FORCE / AFP

One more person has died from injuries suffered from last month's White Island volcano eruption, taking the death toll to 21.

In a statement, New Zealand police said the identity of the deceased will be released after family members have been informed.

Out of the official tally, 18 people have died in New Zealand and two in hospitals in Australia.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern had earlier announced that official inquiries into the eruption will take up to a year. 

More from International News

  • Two British MPs detained by Israel, British FM says

    Israel has detained two British members of parliament and refused entry to the officials who were visiting as part of a parliamentary delegation, British Foreign Minister David Lammy said in a statement late on Saturday.

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

Blogs