Three dead in attacks on Ebola responders in Congo

Augustin WAMENYA / AFP

At least three WHO health workers have been killed and several more injured after two Ebola response centres in eastern Congo came under attack on Thursday.

Local militia, known as Mai Mai, also simultaneously attacked Ebola centres in Mangina in North Kivu and Byakoto in Ituri.

"It is a blow to the Ebola response because we were eradicating the disease. These attacks are challenging the efforts to date," said Jean-Jacques Muyembe, head of the Ebola response for the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The Mai Mai claim Ebola does not exist, and believe the response is a plot to eliminate the local population.

The second Ebola epidemic has left 2,199 people dead since the outbreak was announced in August 2018.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs