Three dead and others injured in Florence construction site collapse

AFP

At least three workers died and three were hospitalised with serious injuries after a slab collapsed at a construction site in the Italian city of Florence, local authorities said on Friday warning that the death toll was likely to rise.

The fire brigade wrote on social media platform X that the accident took place in the city's northwestern area, and was caused by the collapse of a slab in a prefabricated building.

"The confirmed dead are three...another two are still missing," said Monia Monni, the official in charge of civil protection in Tuscany, the region that encompasses Florence.

She told Reuters eight people were on the construction site at the time of the accident and said two of the three hospitalised workers were in a serious, but not life-threatening condition.

Previously, Eugenio Giani, the president of the Tuscany region, told SkyTg24 there was very little chance of finding more survivors under the rubble.

Accidents on work sites are fairly common in Italy, and trade unions routinely complain about inadequate working conditions on building sites and lack of checks by health and safety authorities.

Italy had 601 workplace deaths in 2021, the second-highest figure in the 27-member European Union after France, according to the bloc's statistics agency Eurostat.

Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni expressed her condolences to the families of the workers. "We are following the developments of the case and praying for the injured people and for those who are still missing," she said during an event in the southern region of Calabria."

The workers were building a supermarket for the Esselunga chain. The president of the company, Marina Caprotti, also expressed her grief and said all Esselunga stores in Florence would close in the afternoon "as a sign of mourning".

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs