Teen planned shooting attack at Serbian school

AFP

A 13-year-old boy, who gunned down eight students and a security guard in a Belgrade school on Wednesday, had planned his attack, investigators revealed.

Veselin Milic, head of Belgrade police, said the attacker had two guns, that belonged to his father, and two petrol bombs, and had planned everything carefully.

"He even had ... names of children he wanted to kill and their classes," he told a press conference.

A teacher and six pupils were hospitalised, some with life-threatening injuries.

As Serbia prepared for three days of national mourning, President Aleksandar Vucic announced tougher curbs on gun ownership.

He announced a moratorium on new gun licenses other than for hunting, revision of existing permits and surveillance of shooting ranges and how civilians store their weapons.

The shooter, who gave himself up to police and at 13 is below Serbia's age of criminal responsibility, will be placed in a psychiatric institution, Vucic told reporters, adding that both his father and mother had been arrested.

"He was waiting for this day. He was at the shooting range with his father three times," Vucic said. The boy had asked for a transfer to another class where he had three friends, he said.

Interior Minister Bratislav Gasic said the suspect's father, had held the guns legally. Hundreds of thousands of weapons remain unaccounted for in Serbia after the Balkan wars of the 1990s.

Thousands of people gathered in the elementary school's neighbourhood in the evening to lay flowers and light candles.

Gun laws are very strict in Serbia but civilian gun ownership is also widespread.

According to the 2018 Small Arms Survey, Serbia globally ranked third with 39.1 firearms per 100 people, and more than 78,000 people have hunting licences.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs