Tajikistan says migrants fleeing Russia after concert hall attack

Shutterstock

There has been a surge of migrant workers leaving Russia for Tajikistan after a March 22 concert hall attack near Moscow, which left dozens dead.

According to Tajikistan's Ministry of Labour, Migration and Employment.

Gunmen opened fire with automatic weapons at concertgoers over a week ago in the worst attack in Russia in two decades, which left at least 144 people dead.

Four of the suspected gunmen are Tajik citizens and were arrested along with seven other suspects, some of whom also come from the ex-Soviet Central Asian nation.

"We receive a lot of calls. These are most likely not complaints about harassment but fear of our citizens, panic, and many want to leave. We are now monitoring the situation; we have more people coming (to Tajikistan) than leaving," Shakhnoza Nodiri, deputy head of the ministry, was quoted by Russian state news agency TASS.

Tajikistan detained nine people this week suspected of having links to the mass shooting and also to the militant Islamist State group that claimed responsibility, a Tajik security source told Reuters.

A labour shortage in Russia's economy may become even worse due to the outflow of migrant workers, with a deficit in the construction industry growing by 36% this year compared to 2022, Anton Glushkov, president of the National Association of Builders (NOSTROY), told Interfax news agency on Friday.

The Russian Central Bank has said that staff shortages and resulting jumps in wages were among the risks to inflation that have compelled it to keep the key interest rate elevated.

Tajikistan's labour ministry expects that the outflow of migrants from Russia will be temporary.

According to the ministry's website, 652,014 labour migrants left the country in 2023, compared to 775,578 in 2022.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs