Super Typhoon Yagi leaves at least 2 dead in China's Hainan

AFP / Nhac Nguyen

Super Typhoon Yagi pounded south China's island province of Hainan with heavy rain and gusty winds, leaving at least two people dead and 92 injured, local authorities said Saturday.

Xinhua news agency quoted official data as saying that the two fatalities were confirmed in Ding'an County, while Wenchang City reported 12 injuries and Haikou City reported 80 injuries as of Saturday morning.

As winds and rainfall subsided, Hainan downgraded its typhoon alert and initiated swift recovery operations across the province.

Over 2,200 workers have been mobilised to restore power to more than 1.5 million affected households.

By 7 a.m. Saturday, over one-fifth of those affected households had been reconnected to the grid.

Road repairs are also underway, with 51 of the 89 blocked main roads now cleared.

High-speed rail services circling the island are expected to resume on Saturday afternoon, and ferry services in the Qiongzhou Strait are anticipated to resume by Sunday evening.

Haikou Meilan International Airport will remain temporarily closed until Sunday noon due to the remnants of Typhoon Yagi, while Sanya Phoenix International Airport in the popular tourist city of Sanya began gradually resuming flight services at 10 a.m. on Saturday.

Meanwhile, rescue teams are racing to restore communications, as more than 12,500 base stations were damaged across the province, with Wenchang City suffering the worst damage to its communications facilities.

Super Typhoon Yagi, the 11th typhoon of this year, made two landfalls in China on Friday, first striking Hainan and later Guangdong Province.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs