Sudan army head calls on young men to join fight against paramilitary RSF

File Picture (AFP)

The head of Sudan's army called on young men to defend their country, including by joining the army, and announced a ceasefire for the Eid al Adha holiday on Wednesday, when a rival force has also declared a truce.

Multiple ceasefire deals have failed to stick in the conflict between the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces that began April 15, including several brokered by Saudi Arabia and the United States at talks in Jeddah that were suspended last week.

"We ask all of the country's youth and all those who can defend not to hesitate or delay in playing this national role in their place of residence or by joining the armed forces," army leader Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said in a speech late on Tuesday.

The RSF late on Monday declared a ceasefire for Tuesday and Wednesday. Both sides said their ceasefires were "unilateral".

Artillery fire, air strikes and clashes could be heard on Tuesday in parts of Sudan's capital, residents said.

The war has brought widespread destruction and looting to Khartoum and has triggered unrest in other parts of Sudan, especially in the western region of Darfur where attacks and ethnic violence spread.

Almost 2.8 million people have been uprooted by the fighting, with more than 2.15 million internally displaced and nearly 650,000 fleeing into neighbouring countries, according to estimates from the International Organization for Migration published on Tuesday.

The UN refugee agency said that it expects the conflict to turn more than 1 million people into refugees within the next six months.

Residents say those fleeing attacks by militias and the RSF in the Darfur city of El Geneina have been killed or shot at as they try to reach Chad by foot.

Burhan, who is also the head of Sudan's ruling Sovereign Council, blamed the RSF for what he called "war crimes and crimes against humanity" in the city.

In an audio message on Monday, RSF chief Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, also known as Hemedti, said the RSF would establish a special committee to investigate alleged violations by his troops, which would be treated "with severity and seriousness".

A senior UN refugee agency official said on Tuesday that many women and children had been arriving in Chad with injuries.

The RSF accuses the army of fomenting violence in the area.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs