Sudan army general rules out Ramadan truce unless RSF leaves civilian sites

AFP

A top general from Sudan's army has ruled out a truce during Ramadan unless the paramilitary group it is battling leaves civilian and public sites.

The statement by Yasser al-Atta, a deputy commander of the army, comes after the army claimed advances in Omdurman, part of the wider capital, and an appeal by the United Nations Security Council for a truce during the holy month, which begins this week.

The paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) said it welcomed the ceasefire call.

Atta's statement, issued on the army's official Telegram channel on Sunday and based on comments he made the previous day in Kassala state, said there could be no Ramadan ceasefire unless the RSF complied with a commitment made last May at Saudi and US-mediated talks in Jeddah to withdraw from civilian homes and public facilities.

It also said there should be no role for Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, the RSF leader commonly known as Hemedti, or his family, in Sudan's future politics or military.

"There are those who talk about a truce in Ramadan. There is no truce by order of the army and the people," Atta said in his Kassala speech to army graduates.

The RSF said in a statement on Sunday that the army had rejected its offer to hand over 537 prisoners of war in its custody through the International Committee of the Red Cross.

"The SAF (Sudanese Armed Forces) leadership refused to accept our proposal to return their personnel as a sign of goodwill during Ramadan, as well as our previous unilateral initiatives since the current crisis began," the RSF said.

The army said it had received no communication from the ICRC about such an offer, and said the RSF's claims were "lies".

Several international attempts to broker ceasefires have failed to stop the fighting.

The UN says nearly 25 million people - half Sudan's population - need aid, some 8 million have fled their homes and hunger is rising. Washington accuses both warring parties of committing war crimes.

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has also called this week for a Ramadan truce.

Sudan's UN ambassador told the UN Security Council on Thursday that the head of the army and ruling council Abdel Fattah al-Burhan commended Guterres' appeal, but was wondering how it could be implemented.

Sudan's foreign ministry, which is aligned with the armed forces, said that to make any ceasefire possible, the RSF would need to withdraw from areas including El Gezira and Sennar states and several cities in Darfur, the RSF's stronghold.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs