Sudan army and protesters agree on three-year transition period

ASHRAF SHAZLY / AFP

Sudanese army rulers and protest leaders have agreed on a three-year period to transfer power to a civilian administration.

"We agreed on a transitional period of three years," Lieutenant General Yasser al-Atta, a member of the military council told reporters.

He added that a final agreement on the sharing of power, including the forming of the sovereign council - will be decided within 24 hours.

"We vow to our people that the agreement will be completed fully within 24 hours in a way that meets the people's aspirations," he said.

This comes after talks between the two sides had been briefly disrupted after violence erupted in Khartoum, leading to the death of an army major and five protesters.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs