Sri Lanka to seek help tracking international links to attacks

STR / AFP

Sri Lankan President Maithripala Sirisena will ask for foreign assistance to nab the perpetrators of the Easter Sunday bombings.

That's the word from this media team, which said the "intelligence reports (indicate) that foreign terrorist organisations are behind the local terrorists."

Cabinet spokesman Rajitha Senaratne said: "We do not believe these attacks were carried out by a group of people who were confined to this country. There was an international network without which these attacks could not have succeeded."

This comes as the government announced a night curfew in Colombo.

Separately, the President said a nationwide emergency will go into effect at midnight on Monday.

This measure will grant police and the military extensive powers to detain and interrogate suspects without court orders.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks, with police uncovering 87 bomb detonators at the main bus station in Colombo on Monday.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs