South Korea ramps up pest control after reports of bedbugs

File Picture

South Korea is ramping up pest control measures and inspections to prevent a spread of bedbugs after reports of suspected infestations at some saunas and residential facilities, officials said on Wednesday.

The small, flat oval insects have caused a panic in France, where reports of outbreaks on trains and in cinemas have raised worries about the impact on tourism and the Paris Olympics, which start in less than a year. Britain too has seen a jump in inquiries about the pests.

In South Korea, about 30 cases of suspected infestations have been reported nationwide, including at a traditional Korean spa in Incheon, west of Seoul, and a college dorm in the southeastern city of Daegu, officials said.

The prime minister's office on Tuesday launched a four-week campaign with inspections of public facilities and pest control measures.

"Public anxiety is inevitable as reports continue to come in," Park Ku-yeon, first deputy chief of the Office for Government Policy Coordination, who heads the team in change of the campaign, told a meeting.

Park singled out small dorm rooms and single-room households as most vulnerable, calling for support from district authorities.

The wingless insects hide in mattresses and bedding and feed on blood, typically biting at night.

South Korea's hotel and tour industry is stepping up vigilance with distribution of repellent and training for staff.

Lotte Hotels and Resorts, a hospitality arm of Lotte Corp, said it had not found any infestations but issued guidelines to all branches and it plans to disinfect bedding, mattresses, carpets and sofas.

"We're trying to take strong precautionary steps," a Lotte Hotel official told Reuters.

Authorities in the capital, Seoul, said metro operators would disinfect trains more frequently and gradually replace fabric seats with plastic ones.

Drivers have to disinfect their taxis twice a day and control measures are also being implemented on buses.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs