South Korea mulls stricter distancing as COVID-19 takes 'a very dangerous turn'

ED JONES / AFP

South Korea reported more than 200 new coronavirus cases for the third consecutive day on Monday, as the government mulls tightening social distancing to curb persistent outbreaks.

The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) posted 223 cases as of Sunday midnight, marking the eighth straight day of triple-digit increases and the highest since early September.

Health authorities warned of re-strengthening distancing curbs which were relaxed about a month ago to the lowest levels, as small cluster infections continue to break out while the pandemic is raging around the globe.

Tighter curbs would ban public gatherings of 100 people or more, limit religious services and audiences at sporting events to 30 per cent of capacity, and require high-risk facilities including clubs and karaoke bars to widen distance among guests.

"We are at a critical crossroads where we might have to readjust distancing," Health Minister Park Neung-hoo told a meeting.

"The current situation is taking a very dangerous turn considering the rising infections from daily lives and the unrelenting pace of the spread."

Of the new cases, 193 were locally transmitted and 30 imported, according to the KDCA. More than 66% of the domestic infections were from the densely populated greater Seoul area, where outbreaks continue to emerge from nursing homes, medical facilities and small businesses.

The daily tally brought the country's total infections to 28,769, with 494 deaths.

The defence ministry held a meeting of senior commanders and notched up distancing for troops and officers for the next two weeks and cut travel and entertainment events, after more than two dozen cases have recently been linked to a military welfare support facility and an air force unit.

The government also designated a special anti-virus period ahead of an annual national university entrance exam on Dec. 3, to ensure all students including COVID-19 patients can take it.

Starting Thursday, authorities will conduct stricter hygiene inspections on private academies and study cafes, while instructing in-person classes to be minimised from one week before the test.

President Moon Jae-in urged authorities and local governments on Saturday to step up supervision of safety measures, a day after revised guidelines took effect to allow fining people who fail to wear masks in public

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs