Son of late Philippines strongman Marcos to run for presidency

NOEL CELIS / AFP

The son and namesake of late Philippines dictator Ferdinand Marcos will file his candidacy for president in next year's elections, local media reported on Tuesday, but his lawyer said a final decision had not yet been made.

Ferdinand Marcos Jr, 64, popularly known as "Bongbong", has been involved in politics since his return in 1991 from exile following his father's 1986 overthrow, as provincial governor, congressman and senator.

The Philippine Star had reported the plan on its official social media accounts, citing its correspondent. Asked about a run for the presidency, Marcos' lawyer Vic Rodriguez, told Reuters no final decision had been made.

Marcos on Tuesday took an oath as chairman of a political party that had earlier nominated him as its presidential candidate.

The party is still having a meeting, and information that came out was "raw information", added lawyer Rodriguez, who is also the party's executive vice president.

Another aide to Marcos also did not confirm the Star report but said there would be no filing of candidacy on Tuesday and "something" would be announced later, without elaborating.

Marcos unsuccessfully ran for the vice presidency in 2016. A run for the top post would be a big step in a country where many are still healing from the 1970s martial rule era of the elder Marcos.

His family has long sought to rebuild its image and has repeatedly denied allegations it plundered billions of dollars of state wealth when in power, which ended in a 1980s People's Power uprising.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs