6 dead, 36 fishermen missing after cyclone Bulbul lashes Bangladesh

Munir UZ ZAMAN / AFP

At least six people have been killed and 36 fishermen reported missing as Cyclone Bulbul lashed Bangladesh overnight.

Some 30 people have been injured and around 6,000 homes partially or fully damaged, authorities added.

Cyclone Bulbul, packed with wind speeds of about 120 kmph, has left some low-lying areas flooded.

Nearly two million people from coastal districts have been moved to about 5,558 shelters late Saturday, with officials adding that prompt evacuations have helped save lives.

Meanwhile, efforts are on to rescue about 1,200 domestic tourists who were stranded at the Saint Martin island in the Cox's Bazar district.

"With the signal down to 4 all of them will be rescued," an official said, referring to a storm-warning system.

"It may take couple of days to get a normal situation," the country's junior minister for disaster management and relief told Reuters.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs