Sentence of UK teen who killed three girls will not be reviewed

File photo

The attorney-general for England and Wales, Richard Hermer, has rejected calls to request a court review of the length of a jail sentence imposed on the British teenager who killed three young girls at a Taylor Swift-themed dance event last summer.

18-year-old Axel Rudakubana, admitted killing the girls and stabbing 10 others last July in the northern English town of Southport, an atrocity that shocked Britain and was followed by nationwide rioting. He was sentenced to at least 52 years behind bars last month.

Judge Julian Goose said he could not impose a full life sentence as Rudakubana was 17 when the attack took place but he was unlikely ever to be released.

Hermer said in a statement late on Friday that his office had received multiple requests to review the sentence under the unduly lenient sentence scheme, designed to identify and remedy gross errors made by judges.

"After careful consideration of independent legal advice and consultation with leading criminal barristers and the crown prosecution service, I have concluded that this case cannot properly be referred to the court of appeal," Hermer said.

The attorney general said Rudakubana's sentence was the second longest sentence imposed by the courts in English history, and that he was likely to spend the rest of his life in jail.

"No one would want the families to be put through an unnecessary further court process where there is no realistic legal basis for an increased sentence," Harmer said.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs