Scramble to track cruise passengers after COVID-19 case reported

TANG CHHIN Sothy / AFP

Efforts are on to track passengers of a cruise liner that had docked in Cambodia after an American national tested positive for the coronavirus.

Holland America Line said it is working with health officials in Malaysia and Cambodia to contact all passengers who were earlier cleared to fly back to their home countries.  

"These experts are working with the appropriate national health authorities to investigate and follow-up with individuals who may have come in contact with the guest," said Dr. Grant Tarling, Chief Medical Officer for Holland America Line.

The cruise line, which had spent two weeks at sea after being turned away by Japan, Taiwan, Guam, the Philippines and Thailand, said none of the other 1,454 passengers and 802 crew had reported any symptoms.

According to some media reports, around 300 Americans are still in Cambodia and will undergo fresh tests for the coronavirus. 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs