Scientists say coronavirus is airborne, ask WHO to revise rules

STR / AFP

More than 239 scientists said there's evidence to suggest that the novel coronavirus is airborne, urging the World Health Organisation (WHO) to revise its recommendations.

In an open letter to the agency, scientists from 32 countries have outlined the evidence showing smaller particles can infect people.

They suggest that while measures like washing hands and maintaining social distance are important, they may not be enough to curb the spread of the virus.

WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic said they are reviewing the letter "with our technical experts".

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs