Saudi Arabia will allow 1 million Haj pilgrims this year

AFP / Abdel Ghani Bashir

The kingdom's Ministry of Haj and Umrah has said the annual Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca this year would be for fully vaccinated pilgrims and those under the age of 65.

Saudi state news agency SAP reported early on Saturday.

As Saudi Arabia gets ready to raise the number of Haj pilgrims allowed this year to one million from inside and outside the kingdom, the Ministry of Haj and Umrah took to their official Twitter account to add that the pilgrims from abroad must also present a negative COVID-19 PCR test and that health precautions would be observed.

They also said that countries will be allocated quotas, according to which international pilgrims will be allowed in. 

 

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs