Saudi Arabia wins bid to host Expo 2030

LUDOVIC MARIN/ AFP

Saudi Arabia's capital city of Riyadh won the right to host the Expo 2030 world fair, vote results showed on Tuesday.

South Korea's Busan and Italy's Rome were also in the running to host the five-yearly event that attracts millions of visitors and billions of dollars in investment.

Riyadh won 119 votes, Busan 29 and Rome 17, results from 182 members of the Paris-based Bureau International des Expositions (BIE) showed.

Saudi Arabia needed to garner two thirds of the votes to win from the first round.

Riyadh had enlisted football star Cristiano Ronaldo, who plays for the Saudi club Al-Nassr to convince members in a video projected before the vote.

The Saudi capital has proposed to host the event between October 2030 and March 2031.

His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai congratulated the leaders of Saudi Arabia on the country's successful bid to host the World Expo.

"The joy of the Saudi people is our joy, their success is our success, and their hosting of World Expo 2030 is a win for the Gulf and the entire region," he said on X.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs