Russia urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to comply with ceasefire agreement

File Picture

Russia on Monday urged Armenia and Azerbaijan to comply with a 2020 ceasefire agreement, expressing "serious concern" about escalating tensions between the two countries over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.

Azerbaijan on Sunday established a checkpoint at the start of the Lachin Corridor, the only road route linking Armenia to Nagorno-Karabakh, in what Armenia called a "gross violation" of a Moscow-brokered 2020 ceasefire agreement between the two sides.

Nagorno-Karabakh is internationally recognised as part of Azerbaijan but largely populated by ethnic Armenians. In 2020, Azerbaijan made significant territorial gains in a six-week war that killed thousands on both sides, before Moscow struck a ceasefire deal that included the dispatch of a Russian peacekeeping force to the region.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters on Monday there was "no alternative" to the 2020 agreement and said Moscow was working with both Baku and Yerevan over the situation.

"Russia is continuing contact, the situation is really difficult," Peskov told reporters.

Russia is an ally of Armenia through a mutual self-defence pact, but also has good relations with Azerbaijan.

While stopping short of directly blaming either side, Russia's foreign ministry in a separate statement highlighted "the unacceptability of any unilateral steps" in violation of the 2020 agreement.

Azerbaijan agreed in 2020 to "guarantee the security of persons, vehicles and cargo moving along the Lachin Corridor in both directions." Armenia says the establishment of a checkpoint at the start of the road is a "gross violation" of those commitments.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs