Russia says Ukraine plans Kursk nuclear power plant 'provocation'

AFP / Yan Dobronosov

Russia's defence ministry accused Ukraine on Saturday of planning to attack the Kursk nuclear power plant and blamed such a "provocation" on Moscow.

Interfax news agency cited the ministry as saying.

The ministry said Russia would respond harshly in the event of such an attack, which it said would contaminate a large surrounding area.

Ukraine launched an incursion into Russia's western Kursk region on August 6 and has claimed to have taken control of 82 settlements over an area of 1,150 square kilometres (440 square miles) since then.

The Kursk nuclear power plant, however, remains under Russia's control.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs