Russia says latest UK sanctions 'illegitimate'

Shutterstock [For illustration]

Russia's embassy in London said Britain's new package of sanctions against Russia over its invasion of Ukraine was "illegitimate" and many of those targeted had no connection to the conflict.

Britain on Monday announced what it said was its largest package of sanctions against Russia since the early days of the war in Ukraine, including companies worldwide that supply components used by the Russian military.

The Russian embassy called the measures "futile" in a statement posted on Facebook on Tuesday.

"The moment chosen by London to whip up the sanctions hysteria is quite symbolic — at a delicate time when the foundations of the future Ukraine settlement process are being shaped in line with the Russia-US agreements," the statement said.

Britain's sanctions package, timed to mark the third anniversary of the Russian invasion, also targeted North Korea's defence minister No Kwang Chol over the deployment of North Korean forces in Russia, and Kyrgyzstan-based Keremet Bank.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs