Russia says it thwarted another Ukrainian drone attack on Moscow

AFP

Russia's Defence Ministry said it had thwarted the latest Ukrainian drone attack on Moscow, bringing down three drones in the early hours of Wednesday morning, one of which collided with a building under construction in a central business district.

The attempted attack was not reported to have hurt anyone and only appears to have caused minor damage, but was the latest in an upsurge of similar incidents and once again forced Moscow's airports to briefly suspend flights as a precautionary measure.

The Defence Ministry said air defence forces had shot down two of the three drones over the wider Moscow region's Mozhaisky and Khimki districts.

A third drone had been brought down using electronic warfare equipment, lost control and crashed into a high-rise building under construction in the Moscow City business district, the ministry said.

It said there had been no casualties.

The state TASS news agency reported that glass planes on three floors of the high-rise building had been damaged. Unverified videos on social media showed minor damage from the two other drones which had been destroyed.

There was no immediate comment from Ukraine, which rarely takes direct responsibility for drone strikes on Russian territory or on areas controlled by Russia, but which appears to have stepped up such attacks since two drones were destroyed over the Kremlin in early May.

Russia's state aviation authority said that all of Moscow's airports were operating normally after a temporary flight suspension was imposed in the early hours of Wednesday due to the attempted drone attack.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs