Russia captures another Ukrainian city

FILE PHOTO

Russian forces have entered the outskirts of the eastern Ukraine frontline city of Toretsk, Ukraine's military said late on Monday, less than a week after the fall of the nearby bastion town of Vuhledar.

"The situation is unstable, fighting is taking place literally at every entrance (to the city)," Anastasiia Bobovnikova, spokesperson of the Operational Tactical Group "Luhansk" told Ukraine's national broadcaster.

"The Russians have entered the eastern outskirts of the city."

Russia, which controls now just under a fifth of Ukrainian territory, has been advancing towards Toretsk since August, taking village by village with infantry aided by the increased use of the highly destructive guided bombs.

With Ukraine now losing more and more territory, President Volodymyr Zelensky has ordered his top brass do "everything that can be done" to minimise Moscow's advance along the frontline.

For Ukraine, Toretsk has been a frontline city for 10 years now, as it is close to Ukraine's territories seized by Russian-backed separatists in 2014. It has since become an anchor of Kyiv's fortifications.

For Moscow, seizing the town, known until 2016 under the Soviet name of Dzerzhinsk, after Felix Dzerzhinsky, the founder of the Soviet secret police, would bring closer President Vladimir Putin's goal of taking the Donbas region.

The fall of the hilltop Toretsk, Ukrainian military analysts say, would let Moscow obstruct key logistical routes connecting the operational rear of Kyiv forces in the area with the combat zone, including the major Pokrovsk-Kostyantynivka road.

After failing to capture the capital of Kyiv when launching Moscow's full-scale invasion in February 2022, Putin focused on taking the old industrial heartland in Ukraine's east known as Donbas, which covers the Luhansk and Donetsk regions.

Donbas has since become the war's main theatre where some of biggest battles in Europe for generations have taken place.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs