Rocket attacks set off sirens as Blinken visits Tel Aviv

FILE PHOTO

Israel's air force shot down two rockets from Lebanon that set off air raid sirens in Tel Aviv on Wednesday, the military said, as US Secretary of State Antony Blinken was on a visit to the city.

Some senior US State Dept officials and travelling press at Blinken’s hotel left the breakfast hall and rushed to the shelter downstairs along with other hotel guests and staff when the sirens went off.

The downing of the rockets came shortly after Israeli forces intercepted two drones launched from the east targeting the Red Sea port city of Eilat, the military said.

There were no immediate reports of injuries in either the drone or rocket attacks.

The Islamic Resistance in Iraq, an Iranian-backed armed group, said it attacked Eilat with drones twice on Wednesday, saying it struck "vital" targets.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs