Quarantine questioned as woman who left virus-stricken ship tests positive

Philip FONG / AFP

Japan has come under the scanner after a woman who disembarked the coronavirus-stricken cruise ship has tested positive for COVID-19.

The woman in her 60s had initially tested negative for the virus.

Japanese health minister later issued an apology for the "oversight" and assured the public that "all necessary measures" will be taken in the future.

Speaking to the media on Saturday, Katsunobu Kato said efforts were on to trace 23 people who had disembarked last week as they had not undergone a test since February 5. 

The Diamond Princess cruise ship, carrying some 3,700 passengers and crew, has been quarantined in Yokohama since February 3.

There are more than 600 cases on board, making it the biggest concentration of infections outside China.

So far, Japan has recorded 132 confirmed cases.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs