Pyongyang condemns US-South Korea drills

JUNG YEON-JE / AFP (File Photo)

North Korea has criticised ongoing military drills between the US and South Korea even though the allies have considerably scaled back the exercises.

The annual spring war games usually involve thousands of troops, but the current week-long exercise is much smaller than in previous years.

US President Donald Trump agreed to shrink the military training apparently to keep room open for talks with North Korea. He has also said the drills are too expensive. 

However, Pyongyang has always criticised the exercises as a threat of invasion and says the drills violate agreements they have with the US and South Korea.

Seoul has responded to the North, saying the new drills are only defensive in nature.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs