Pupil killed in knife attack at Croatia school

STRINGER/ AFP

A seven-year-old child was killed by a knife-wielding assailant who attacked a teacher and pupils at a Zagreb primary school on Friday.

Health Minister Irena Hrstic said the attacker stabbed five people, wounding four and killing one. The suspect later injured himself and was detained.

"Five persons have been hospitalised and their lives are not in danger," Hrstic told reporters. They included the suspected attacker.

Interior Minister Davor Bozinovic said the attacker was a 19-year-old former school student, who entered the school in the middle of the morning and wounded the teacher and children with a knife.

"He ran away from the crime site and shut himself in a nearby health centre where he tried to injure himself with the knife," Bozinovic told reporters. 

Bozinovic said the suspect had a history of psychological problems and had tried to commit suicide last year.

Zagreb Mayor Tomislav Tomašević proclaimed the Day of Mourning on Friday.

"We are horrified," Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic said.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs