Puerto Rico's power grid collapses, leaving island in the dark

RICARDO ARDUENGO/AFP

Puerto Rico woke up in darkness on Tuesday morning after a power grid failure left nearly all of the island without electricity.

Around 90 per cent of clients were without power at 9:30 a.m. (1730 GST), according to energy distribution company Luma Energy's real-time portal.

It will likely take 24 to 48 hours to turn the lights back on, "conditions permitting," Luma said in a statement.

"While the cause of the outage is under investigation, preliminary findings point to a failure in an underground line," Luma added.

Ivan Baez, a spokesperson for power generator Genera, called the grid failure a "major incident" in a local radio interview.

He said that the line believed to have failed was operated by Luma and brought down plants belonging to Genera as well as private generators.

Genera's website showed two plants starting up again at 9:30 a.m. in the U.S. territory.

Puerto Rico has long dealt with chronic power outages as its infrastructure crumbles. It was hit hard by Hurricane Maria, a Category 4 storm, in 2017.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs