Pope Francis leaves hospital, saying 'I'm still alive'

AFP / Tiziana Fabi

Pope Francis left the hospital to return to the Vatican on Saturday after being treated for bronchitis, making light of his illness by saying: "I wasn't frightened; I'm still alive."

The pope, 86, was taken to Rome's Gemelli hospital on Wednesday after complaining of breathing difficulties but responded rapidly to an infusion of antibiotics, his medical team has said.

The media was kept far from the pope when he last left the hospital in 2021 following surgery on his colon.

This time, looking to show the world that he was fully recovered, Francis got out of his car on his way out, greeting well-wishers and talking to waiting reporters. He used a walking stick to support himself.

He embraced a couple whose daughter had died overnight in the hospital and prayed with them and also signed the plaster cast of a young boy with a broken arm. He waved from his car window as he was driven back to the Vatican.

The pope, who marked the 10th anniversary of his pontificate in March, has suffered a number of ailments in recent years.

Vatican spokesman Matteo Bruni confirmed on Friday that Francis would take part in this weekend's service for Palm Sunday - a major event in the Church calendar that kicks off Easter week celebrations.

Holy Week, as it is known, includes a busy schedule of rituals and ceremonies that can be physically exhausting, including a Good Friday nighttime procession by Rome's Colosseum.

The dean of the college of cardinals, Giovanni Battista Re, has said a cardinal would help the pope during the week's celebrations and take care of altar duties.

A similar arrangement was put in place last year when the pope sat to one side during some Easter events due to persistent knee pain, leaving it to senior cardinals to lead the Masses.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs