Polish rescue teams work to save dozens of trapped miners

via X

Rescue teams are trying to bring 53 coalminers trapped underground to the surface after their pit in southern Poland was struck by an earth tremor, a company spokesperson said.

PGG spokesperson Aleksandra Wysocka-Siembiga said the tremor occurred around 0600 GMT about 1,200 metres below ground at the Rydultowy mine.

She said that 68 miners had been in the area at the time, 15 of whom had already been brought to the surface. Wysocka-Siembiga said 10 of the 15 already rescued had been hospitalised in a stable condition.

"There are 53 (miners still) underground. The worrying information which we can give is that we do not currently have contact with two workers," she said.

Television footage showed helicopters and ambulances at the mine. Wysocka-Siembiga said more than 10 rescue teams were on site.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs