Philippines recalls top diplomats from Canada over trash row

123rf

The Philippines has ordered the withdrawal of top diplomats from Canada over Ottawa's failure to comply with a deadline to take back 69 containers of trash.

In a Tweet, Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. said the Philippines "shall maintain a diminished diplomatic presence in Canada until its garbage is ship bound there." 

Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo highlighted that the recall showed that "we are very serious in asking them to get back their garbage otherwise we're gonna sever relations with them". 

Last month, President Rodrigo Duterte threatened he would personally escort the waste containers back to Canada.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs