Philippines President mulls conversion of hotels into COVID-19 facilities

JAM STA ROSA / AFP

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte said on Thursday the government can take over hotels and turn them into isolation facilities as surging COVID-19 infections put a strain on the overstretched healthcare sector.

The Philippines is battling one of the worst outbreaks in Asia, with hospitals in the capital region facing long queues of patients and critical care units nearing maximum capacity.

"I can order the authorities to take over the operations of hotels if there no longer are beds. That is easy," Duterte said in a late night national address.

While a government takeover is not a "remedy desired in a democratic state", Duterte said he could order the police and military to seize the properties "when we are pushed to the wall".

He said the properties would be decontaminated before they were handed back. "I need your hotel. I will borrow it and after that I will clean it up," Duterte said.

With 904,285 infections and 15,594 deaths, the Philippines has the second-highest numbers of COVID-19 cases and casualties in Southeast Asia, after Indonesia.

The capital region, an urban sprawl of 16 cities and at least 13 million people, is the country's coronavirus hotspot.

Many hospitals there are turning away patients after reaching maximum capacity in critical care units and COVID-19 wards.

"Of course the takeover of hotels in the national interest or during emergency is the prerogative of the President," Arthur Lopez, president of the Philippine Hotel Owners Association (PHOA), told Reuters.

Around 300 hotels under PHOA are already fully booked as quarantine facilities for Filipinos returning from abroad, Lopez said.

While the firebrand leader has not expressed any complaints about the hotel industry, he has a track record of tirades against businesses that draw his ire.

He has threatened to seize control of the capital's water distribution services over what he described as "onerous and disadvantageous" concessions, and government expropriation of telecoms firms for what he called "lousy" services.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs