Philippines condemns China's actions in South China Sea

AFP

The Philippines condemned China's "illegal and aggressive actions" in the South China Sea, saying China's coast guard had fired water cannon at a Philippine fisheries bureau vessel conducting a regular resupply mission.

The Philippine Task Force for the South China Sea, an inter-agency government body, called for China to stop its "aggressive activities" in the Scarborough Shoal claimed by both countries.

The water cannons had been used at least eight times on Saturday on Philippine civilian vessels, damaging communication and navigation equipment of a fisheries vessel "directly and deliberately targeted by the China Coast Guard," it said.

Three fisheries bureau vessels were on a supply mission to provide oil and groceries to more than 30 Filipino fishing vessels near the Scarborough shoal.

"To prevent the distribution of humanitarian support is not only illegal but also inhuman," the task force said.

Chinese Maritime Militia vessels were also reported to have engaged in "dangerous manoeuvres" and deployed a long-range acoustic device that resulted in temporary discomfort and incapacitation to some Filipino crew, the task force said.

On Saturday, China said it took "control measures" against three Philippine fishing vessels in the South China Sea that had intruded into waters near Scarborough Shoal, state media reported.

The Scarborough Shoal is within the Philippines' 200-nautical mile exclusive economic zone. Beijing seized it in 2012 and forced fishermen from the Philippines to travel further for smaller catches.

China claims almost the entire South China Sea, a conduit for more than $3 trillion of annual ship-borne commerce, including parts claimed by the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei. The Permanent Court of Arbitration in 2016 said China's claims had no legal basis.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs