Pakistan asks Kabul to probe links to attack that killed 23 soldiers

AFP

Pakistan has protested to Afghanistan's Taliban government over the killing of 23 soldiers in an attack on a military base, demanding action against the perpetrators, Islamabad said as it grapples with security challenges ahead of elections next year.

Tuesday's gun and bomb attack claimed by a terror group comes amid concerns voiced by political analysts about general elections set for February 8, amid a surge in such attacks in the nation of 241 million.

Pakistan's foreign office summoned Kabul's envoy over the attack, it said in a statement on Tuesday, asking for the Taliban administration to "fully investigate and take stern action against the perpetrators of the recent attack".

It also sought a public condemnation of the incident, which led to the heaviest death toll in a single attack in years.

"If they ask for investigation, if they share the details with us, we will do the investigation," the Taliban's spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, told Reuters in response to the demand, though he said the incident had nothing to do with Afghanistan.

The United States condemned the attack. "We stand with the people of Pakistan in ensuring the perpetrators are brought to justice," US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a post on social media platform X that offered condolences to the bereaved.

Ties between Islamabad and Kabul have plunged in recent months to their lowest in years.

In October, Pakistan ordered the expulsion of all Afghan nationals staying in the country without legal documents, holding them responsible for 14 of this year's 24 bombings.

Pakistan says the terrorists use safe havens in Afghanistan to train for and carry out attacks such as the one this week, although Kabul denies the charge, saying that Pakistani security is a domestic issue.

A Pakistani Taliban group, the Tahreek-e-Jihad Pakistan (TJP), which has emerged recently to claim several big bombings, claimed the military base camp attack.

More from International News

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

Blogs